Req ID 2209398
Category Research and Development
Postdoc – Postdoctoral Fellow: Spatial Proteomics to Explore Extracellular Matrix (ECM) Biology and Fiibrotic Diseases
Postdoctoral Program Overview
The Postdoctoral Program is designed for true investigational and experimental research. Participants will be mentored by renowned industry scientists and collaborators at AbbVie and focused on delivering cutting-edge advancements in Discovery, Development Sciences, and BioPharma. This enriching training program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience which fosters a learning environment to advance individual development and offers accessibility to high-level knowledge-building across the drug development continuum.
To be successful in our goals as an organization, we need outstanding individuals willing to challenge themselves to find the best solutions for our patients. The AbbVie Postdoc program is one way we are doing just that.
You will be a technical expert who will investigate, identify, develop, and optimize new methods /techniques to address critical project needs. AbbVie Postdoctoral Fellows continuously seek to improve existing laboratory methods and processes, read and adapt literature to accomplish assignments and demonstrate mastery of a broad range of experimental techniques and methods of data analysis.
We are seeking scientists from key academic institutions within preferred areas of science in the U.S. to provide a unique opportunity for participants to build a solid career foundation in the pharmaceutical industry while building the AbbVie brand as an employer of choice for scientific talent. This assignment is expected to last 2-4 years, though exceptions may be made for certain postdoctoral assignments.
This postdoc will support our ECM Biology program, a novel biology initiative of high interest to different therapeutic areas across AbbVie such as autoimmune diseases and fibrosis. Specifically, this postdoc’s research will focus on cutting-edge spatial proteomics method development and implementation in human disease biopsy analysis and the multi-omics analyses to gain a deep understanding of ECM biology mechanisms in the setting of fibrosis and related diseases. This postdoc will be located in the Omics Technology group in the DMPK department in the Abbvie Bioresearch Center at the Worcester, MA site while working in a coordinated and synergistic manner with other members in the ECM Biology program across various sites and areas. This postdoc will be supervised by the lead mentor and co-mentors and will get close support from colleagues in the DMPK Omics Technology group, the ECM Biology team, and the postdoc committee members across sites. The work of the postdoctoral fellow will also be supported by several cross-functional groups such as pathology, fibrosis biology, Genomics, and Bioinformatics related to ECM Biology. This postdoc will have numerous exposure and presentation opportunities with in-house stakeholders and may attend external conferences to present publishable results. In addition, this postdoc will interact with external collaborators established through the ECM proteomics, ECM Biology, and spatial omics programs to expand the candidate’s professional network and research experience.
- The postdoc will develop and optimize the laser capture microdissection-based spatial proteomics method and workflow to prepare the technology for large cohort LCM proteomics analysis including IPF and HS patient biopsies. This effort involves mass spectrometry-based proteomics sample preparation method development, instrument method optimization, and proteomics data generation.
- The postdoc will generate high-quality spatial proteomics data sets and analyze the spatial proteomics data and integrate it with other omics datasets generated internally or from external collaboration to identify novel ECM-related drug targets.
- Generate new research strategies and approaches to effectively address the postdoc project needs
- Collaborate with functional and technical experts to facilitate scientific achievement
- Maintain a high- level of productivity in the laboratory setting
- Effectively write and communicate research materials
- Resolve research hurdles by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences aligned with business objectives
- Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility in maintaining scientific standards and safe laboratory practices
- Ph.D. in analytical chemistry, proteomics, protein mass spectrometry, or biochemistry research area and lab-based experiences with mass spec-based proteomics.
- Hands-on experience with protein extraction, isolation, and mass spectrometry analysis. Basic knowledge of proteomics data analysis, and bioinformatics.
- Record of scientific initiative and creativity in research activities
- Capable of independently designing and executing experiments, interpreting data, and identifying appropriate follow-up strategies
- Excellent project management skills. Ability to multitask and work within timelines.
- Ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise
- Proven track record of teamwork, adaptability, and integrity
- Demonstrated scientific writing skills and strong verbal communication skills
- Record of publication in peer-reviewed journal (s)
- Global mindset to thrive in a diverse culture and environment
- Work authorization in the U.S.
- Letters of recommendation (including one from the Thesis Advisor)
- Letter of intent to pursue Postdoc
- Experience with multi-omics analyses of biology samples
- Experience histopathology and laser capture microdissection
- Statistical analysis skillset
Key Leadership Competencies
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross-functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages to reality