Postdoc – Postdoctoral Fellow: Explore novel extracellular matrix (ECM) biology mechanisms & build related MPS/3D culture models for Fibrosis & other high-interest disease areas
Postdoctoral Program Overview
The Postdoctoral Program is designed for true investigational and experimental research. Participants will be mentored by renowned industry scientists and collaborators at AbbVie and focused on delivering cutting-edge advancements in Discovery, Development Sciences, and BioPharma. This enriching training program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience which fosters a learning environment to advance individual development and offers accessibility to high-level knowledge-building across the drug development continuum.
To be successful in our goals as an organization, we need outstanding individuals willing to challenge themselves to find the best solutions for our patients. The AbbVie Postdoc program is one way we are doing just that.
You will be a technical expert who will investigate, identify, develop, and optimize new methods / techniques to address critical project needs. AbbVie Postdoctoral Fellows continuously seek to improve existing laboratory methods and processes, read and adapt literature to accomplish assignments, and demonstrate mastery of a broad range of experimental techniques and methods of data analysis.
We are seeking scientists from key academic institutions within preferred areas of science in the U.S. to provide a unique opportunity for participants to build a solid career foundation in the pharmaceutical industry while building the AbbVie brand as an employer of choice for scientific talent. This assignment is expected to last 2-4 years, though exceptions may be made for certain postdoctoral assignments.
This postdoc will support our ECM Biology program, a novel biology initiative of high interest to different therapeutic areas across AbbVie such as autoimmune diseases and fibrosis. Specifically, this postdoc’s research will focus on cutting-edge MPS/3D biology model build and multi-omics analyses to gain understanding of ECM biology mechanisms in the setting of fibrosis and related diseases. This postdoc will be located in the Fibrosis Research group in our Lake County IL site, while working in a coordinated and synergistic manner with other members in the ECM Biology program across various sites and areas. This postdoc will be supervised by the lead mentor and co-mentors of the ECM Biology program and will have close support from colleagues in the Fibrosis Research group. The work of the postdoctoral fellow will also be supported by several cross-functional groups such as Proteomics, Genomics and Bioinformatics related to ECM Biology. This postdoc will have numerous exposure and presentation opportunities with in-house stakeholders and may attend external conferences to present publishable results. In addition, this postdoc will interact with external collaborators established through the ECM Biology and Fibrosis Research programs to expand the person’s professional network and research experience.
- Couple human primary cell culture models with multi-omics analyses to validate and extend novel ECM-related knowledge mined from omics data sets on patient samples, especially ECM/matrisome profiles and mechanisms for fibrosis biology
- Establish a cutting-edge MPS/3D culture model(s) for lung alveolar tissue with a focus on fibroblast and ECM biology as a novel approach to lung disease research
- Generate new research strategies and approaches to effectively address the postdoc project needs
- Collaborate with functional and technical experts to facilitate scientific achievement
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting
- Effectively write and communicate research materials
- Resolve research hurdles by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences aligned with business objectives
- Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility in maintaining scientific standards and safe laboratory practices
- PhD in a biology research area and lab-based experiences with cellular & molecular biology
- Basic knowledge of fibrosis and ECM/stromal/fibroblast biology
- Hands-on experience with human primary cell (fibroblasts, etc.) isolation, culture, and analysis
- Record of scientific initiative and creativity in research activities
- Demonstrated scientific writing skills and strong verbal communication skills
- Record of publication in peer-reviewed journal (s)
- Capable of independently designing and executing experiments, interpreting data, and identifying appropriate follow-up strategies
- Excellent project management skills. Ability to multitask and work within timelines.
- Ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise
- Proven track record of teamwork, adaptability, and integrit
- Global mindset to thrive in a diverse culture and environment
- Work authorization in the U.S.
- Letters of recommendation (including one from Thesis Advisor)
- Letter of intent to pursue Postdoc
- Research experience with multi-omics analyses of biology samples
- Hands-on experience with MPS/3D biology models
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages to reality